Warwickshire Ladies Promoted Back to Premier Division
The ladies had narrowly missed out on Premier league survival in the 2017/18 season and were back at the Park in Nottingham to try and reclaim their place at the first time of asking.
Leonie Holt was once again captaning and leading the team at number one, being joined by Leamington team mate Laura Helm. Kenilworth trio Olivia Gow, Lucy Green and Natalie Townsend completed the squad. The format of the ladies event was two groups with the winners of each group being promoted.
Match 1 vs North Wales
Comfortable wins for Townsend, Gow and Helm with Green losing out in a tight three games. The match of the tie being Holt’s against Welsh youngster Roberts, Holt holding her nerve to take it 16-14 in the fifth.
- Leonie Holt beat Lowri Roberts 9-11, 11-9, 11-6, 4-11, 16-14
- Olivia Gow beat Hannah Davies 12-10, 11-9, 11-7
- Lucy Green lost to Layna Beattie 6-11, 7-11, 9-11
- Natalie Townsend beat Lauren Evans 11-7, 8-11, 11-8, 11-7
- Laura Helm beat Georgie Lincoln 11-4, 11-4, 11-5
Match 2 vs Cambridgeshire
The girls knew that a win in this one would guarantee promotion. Helm had a tougher match than the mornings game against an awkward opponent, sneaking through in 5. Townsend put in a good performance to win in straight games, as did the improving Green. Gow was in a tough battle at number 2 which she lost 1-3. Holt again providing the entertainment to take another 5 game victory.
- Leonie Holt beat Ali Loke 11-9, 8-11, 13-11, 3-11, 11-5
- Olivia Gow lost to Taylor Mounter 5-11, 11-7, 10-12, 9-11
- Lucy Green beat Reka Gay 11-5, 11-9, 11-0
- Natalie Townsend beat Sofia Avero-Pita 11-7, 11-5, 11-8
- Laura Helm beat Sarah Howlett 11-2, 8-11, 11-9, 10-12, 11-6
Well done to the team on promotion and a big thanks to Leonie for captaining the team, also to Mo Sarwar and Rachel Woolford for their support on the day.